Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Voting Information

Please Note: You cannot Vote at the Embassy

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) guarantees United States citizens overseas the right to vote in federal elections in the United States. (Federal elections include primaries, general and special elections for the President, Vice President, U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives to Congress.) The UOCAVA applies only to federal elections. However, many states in the United States have enacted legislation whereby certain categories of citizens residing overseas can vote by absentee ballot for state or local officials. The same procedures for obtaining local election ballots are used for obtaining federal election ballots.

In order to vote in either federal or state elections in the United States, most states require citizens residing abroad to register in the state of his or her "voting residence." A voting residence is the legal residence or domicile in which the voter could vote if present in that state. Military and Merchant Marine members, their spouses and dependents, may register to vote in the domicile (state) that the member claims as his or her residence. Civilian U.S. government employees overseas, their spouses and dependents, will generally register in the state they claim as their legal residence. In accordance with the UOCAVA, overseas citizens (not affiliated to the US government), must vote in their last state of residence immediately prior to departure from the United States. This applies even if many years have elapsed and the voter maintains no abode nor has any intention of returning to that State.

How to Vote

Applying for the ballot: The Embassy does not supply voting ballots. You cannot vote at the Embassy. You must request your absentee ballot using a form known as the FPCA – Federal Post Card Application. The instructions for completing the form in accordance with your state's requirements are available in the Voting Assistance Guide. Information from the Guide, including state-by-state instructions for requesting absentee ballots and voting and the on-line version of the FPCA are avaialble at FVAP. 


  • Complete the FPCA and return it to the address shown in the State instruction leaflet. Do not mail it to the Embassy – this may delay receipt of your ballot.
  • The Federeal Post Card Application(FPCA) ballot and instructions are available at FVAP.
  • If mailed through the Fiji postal system, put an airmail stamp on the FPCA.
  • Apply in good time – at least 45 days before the election.
  • There are no facilities to vote at the Embassy.

Visit the US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs or the Federal Voting Assistance Program website for more information.