TO ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES
LENGTH OF HIRE : Permanent
Starting salary FJ$13,963 per annum
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION
Serves as the Embassy’s Driver/Messenger, back-up chauffeur to the Ambassador and back-up
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Operates the Embassy’s designated messenger vehicle(s) to pick-up and deliver items (materials, equipment and documents) as directed by the General Services Officer (GSO) or his designee; transports embassy personnel and official visitors within the city and surrounding area, as directed; maintains the cleanliness and operational standards of the embassy’s designated messenger vehicles(s) while in his care. Reports to the Motor Pool Supervisor any necessary service and or repairs required; maintains the vehicle’s logbook, and trip tickets. Performs other clerical or warehouse duties as directed.
2. BACKUP CHAUFFEUR TO THE CHIEF OF MISSION
In the absence of the Chief of Mission’s Chauffeur, drives the Chief of Mission where directed, and/or chauffeur VIPs within the city and surrounding area. May serve as a special messenger in delivering documents or invitations are required. Responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and operational standards of the official vehicle while in his care.
3. PRIMARY BACKUP MAIL CLERK
In the absence of the embassy’s sole Mail Clerk, picks up and delivers all unclassified mail. Registers letters, packages, accounts for incoming and outgoing registered mail. Assumes responsibility for unclassified pouch and personal package pick-up and delivery; prepares monthly reports relating thereto.
4. PERFORMS OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Enters work orders received via email into the Work Order System. Other administrative and filing duties as assigned.
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item
1. Completion of elementary school (form IV) is required.
2. Three years of driving Group 6 driver’s license of which 1 years’ experience as a chauffeur is required.
3. Fluency in English and Fijian language is required.
4. Thorough knowledge of Fiji roads and traffic patterns, as well as excellent knowledge of local landmarks, important buildings, tourist attractions, government departments, embassies and residences. Must understand Fijian customs and protocol.
5. Must be able to understand, interpret and respond accordingly on behalf of the Chief of Mission in the Fijian language at the official Fijian presentation ceremonies.
6. Possession of a local Group 6 driver’s license.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must have the required work permit for Fiji to be eligible for consideration.
The deadline for applications is March 11, 2011
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) which is available at the Embassy or by clicking on the link or via e-form; or
2. A combination of both; i.e. Sections 1 - 24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicant’s work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information); plus
4. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE.
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for Work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; if yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification Number
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle,
Driver’s License Class /Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their Name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
Applications must include a DS-0174 form (available on the Embassy website) and a detailed Curriculum Vitae and forwarded to the Human Resources Office, American Embassy, PO Box 218, Suva or submitted electronically to Hrosuva@state.gov by Friday March 11, 2011.
The submission must clearly show how the applicant meets the minimum qualifications.
NOTE: Only short listed applicants will be contacted regarding the next phase of the selection process. To those applicants not short listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the U.S. Government as a potential employer.